Friday, September 4, 2009

Panel Abstract:SMA Conference September 26, 2009

Ethnography that Matters: Case Studies in Critical Medical Anthropology
co-organized by Alisse Waterston, John Jay College of Criminal Justice, CUNY
Arachu Castro, Harvard University

Participants
Sienna Craig, Dartmouth College
Arachu Castro, Harvard University
M. Catherine Maternowska, University of California, San Francisco and the International Centre for Reproductive Health-Kenya and Thomas McHale, Harvard University
James Pfeiffer, University of Washington
Discussant
Alisse Waterston, John Jay College of Criminal Justice, CUNY

Session Abstract
Participants on this panel take a Critical Medical Anthropology (CMA; Baer, Singer and Susser 2003; Castro and Singer 2004) approach to understanding health, disease, illness experience and health care policies and practices in an unequal world. Their work emphasizes the importance of political and economic forces, including the complexities of power relations and social exclusion, on what they see on the ground, in the local settings where they conduct critical medical ethnographic research in resource-poor areas and/or among vulnerable populations. Informed by this perspective, each contributor offers a case study from her/his own ethnographic project, taking us from theoretical framework to research design and findings to actual or potential application on-the-ground with a particular focus on women’s health. Challenging unfounded claims that critical medical ethnography can document but not address disparities, the projects described here demonstrate the ways in which ethnography can be operationalized towards improving the delivery and quality of care, and moving towards more equitable and just systems. To help facilitate dialogue, this session will be structured as follows: introductory remarks by discussant; presentation of 4 case studies; discussant comments; and audience participation (Q&A).

1 comment:

  1. I have being on blog Sites for a while now and today I felt like I should share my story because I was a victim too. I had HIV for 6 years and i never thought I would ever get a cure I had and this made it impossible for me to get married to the man I was supposed to get married to even after 2 years of relationship he broke up with me when he finds out I was HIV positive. So I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cured and let her contact details, I contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and I decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 soon and I am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Disease… Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid, Get Your Ex Back, If you have (A just reach him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital's issues. He's a good man.

    ReplyDelete